PCT mile 394 to mile 418.6, + 1.8 miles of official PCT alternative, 26.4!!
Running total: 441.8 miles
Nobody wanted to be the first one to wake today. We each took turns raising our heads to peek out of our tents to make sure everyone else was still sleeping, then quickly closing our eyes again before somebody else woke up…
I forget who is to blame, but somebody finally took responsibility to get us up and moving. We packed and complained about the weather report: more rain tonight! Good Lord!!!!
As soon as we rejoined the PCT, the terrain became super steep. We huffed and puffed up to mile 398, where we sat and had a quick snack. Matthew continued to try and plant the marathon-day seed, and She-Wee and Yaara didn’t completely dismiss him!
After quickly catching up we decided to carry on- it was already 1pm and Matt and She-Wee had goals…
Our plan was to meet up again at the water source at mile 407 to determine our next move- this was not only the last water source before starting a climb of over 1000 feet, but also the last place to camp before starting the climb. We knew a storm was rolling in and had no desire to try to set up a tent and camp on a windy, stormy mountain ridge, so we had to decide to either set up camp BEFORE the climb or after the descent, which was about 12 miles from the water; going beyond the water was our point of no return.
Around 3:45 pm the four of us gathered with a handful of other hikers at the water source. A prophet suddenly descended from the mountain top (fine, he was a trail runner…) and gave us a quick weather update- snow above 7000 feet, rain below. (The peak was just under 7000…) He warned us against camping on the mountain, so if we wanted to be safe we had either best set up camp there OR get our butts moving to the other side of the mountain. He was literally like, “what are you all waiting for?!?”
We hauled ass up the mountain, Yaara and She-Wee taking the lead. Matt stayed behind with me, as we only have one emergency beacon and the weather looked to be the typical unpredictable mountain weather.
Shortly into our descent I realized we had service. Big Mama had texted us a weather warning, well wishes, and their plans to camp at the fire station, and I responded by coordinating dinner plans: I was ordering pizza and we would see them at the fire station.
Around one of the next corners we found Yaara and She-Wee, sore and defeated from a long day of hiking, but both rejuvenated after hearing we had pizza coming. Hugs were had all around.
Around 8:30pm, just .1 or .2 miles short of our destination, we came to a fork in the road and had no idea which way to go. (Actually, we had all passed the fork, chosing go right vs the left, even though the left had an arrrow- and now we were all second guessing ourselves…) With no cell service anymore She-Wee called out, “Big Mama!??” His call was answered by a bunch of hooting and hollering – we we’re on the right path and followed the cheers to a small picnic area, where were greeted with hugs from our people. Silver was there, too! He managed to pull a 34 mile day to catch up with us!